According to the National Institute on Aging (NIA), 80 percent of senior falls occur in the bathroom. The bathroom can be an unforgiving place due to the moisture creating slippery surfaces.
At Kare In Home we recommend making a few changes to your home to create a safer bathroom.
- Install grab bars next to your toilet and in the tub and shower. This will help seniors with poor balance and that have difficulty getting in and out of the bathtub or standing up.
- Use non-slip mats in the bathtub and on the shower floors. This is an affordable way to minimize the risk of falling. These mats will help you navigate the bathroom without slipping on wet tiles.
- Use an elevated toilet seat. As you age, it becomes more challenging to sit down and stand up. An elevated toilet seat provides balance and can reduce the risk of fall.
- Use a shower chair or stool. This is for seniors that have difficulty standing or need to rest while showering. Be sure that you opt for a chair or stool with rubber tips on the legs. This will keep the chair or stool from sliding in the shower.
- Place night lights in your bathroom. With the additional light, you are able to see where you are walking at night and reduces the risk of tripping over or bumping into objects.
These are great ways to make your bathroom safer, but if you need additional help in one the most dangerous rooms in your home, contact Kare In Home Private Care. They will help ensure safety and give peace of mind by:
- Assessing the bathroom for safety
- Assisting with bath
- Performing any personal care services required
- Making sure you are ready to start your day or tucked in safe for the night
Your Kare In Home Team